FAO provides ZHTF with fundamental Agricultural Supplies

By Admin. Updated 12:00 p.m., Monday, January 27, 2025, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4).

The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) recently provided the Zero Hunger Trust Fund (ZHTF) with essential agricultural supplies in efforts to strengthen food security in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

A January 22nd, press release stated that the FAO’s contribution included starter home garden kits, poultry kits and baby chickens which will provide immediate relief and long-term benefits to households across the nation.

It was said that the initiative supports the “National Food Security Drive” a collaborative effort among the ZHTF, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries, Rural Transformation, Industry and Labor, the Farmers Support Company (FSC) and the FAO.

Hon. Saboto Caesar, Minister of Agriculture stated “This is a vital part of our recovery efforts. The work done locally on the CELAC Food and Nutrition Security Plan, coupled with the contributions of the FAO, demonstrates a unified approach to ensuring food is affordable, available, and accessible.” The Minister expressed gratitude to the FAO’s In-Country Representative, Dr. Coleen Phillips, and National Project Coordinator, Cindy Eugene, for their unwavering dedication to eradicating hunger in the region.

Minister Caesar also acknowledged the establishment of backyard gardens last year, targeting 7,000 households, and pledged continued support for the National Food Security Drive through its second phase. He commended the Taiwan Technical Mission for their role in seedling propagation and the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) for their partnership.

Screenshot

Raisa Spencer, FAO Project Coordinator for Disaster Risk Management and Resilience, reiterated the organization’s commitment to aiding St. Vincent and the Grenadines in recovering from Hurricane Beryl. “Restoring food security is a top priority as many families have lost crops, livestock, and fishing equipment,” Spencer emphasized. She detailed FAO’s contributions, which include 100 chicken starter kits for households and the distribution of 700 home garden starter kits by the end of February. Spencer extended gratitude to the Central Emergency Response Fund of the United Nations and the Government of Canada for their support,

Safiya Horne-Bique, CEO of the ZHTF, expressed appreciation for the FAO’s contributions, noting that the National Food Security Drive was launched in response to the agriculture industry’s devastation and rising food prices. “Phase one has mobilized 85 volunteers to identify and register participants,” Horne-Bique shared. She underscored ZHTF’s commitment to exceeding the initial target of 7,000 households and highlighted ongoing programs supporting school feeding initiatives and agricultural education.

Charlene Garrick, General Manager of the Farmers Support Company, celebrated the FAO’s contributions, which have sparked enthusiasm among beneficiaries and encouraged the exchange of agricultural best practices. Representative of Eco Home Gardens, Tamesha James, urged participants to explore agribusiness opportunities, emphasizing sustainable livelihoods.

The handover ceremony was attended by key stakeholders, including Acting Permanent Secretary within the Ministry of Agriculture Trevor Phills, representatives from Eco Home Gardens, and students and teachers from local secondary schools’, the press release said.

It was also stated that registration for baby chickens and home garden kits remains open to interested households. For more information, please contact the Zero Hunger Trust Fund.

Leave a comment