By Demion McTair. Updated 9:18 p.m., Friday, June 26, 2020, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4).
Kingstown, St. Vincent (ONE NEWS SVG) – A shopper at a supermarket in Kingstown says she had an unpleasant experience after discovering that mold was inside a yogurt she had partially consumed.
The individual who wishes to be indentified as D Phillips said she bought the product around June 11.
She said the yogurt brand is Yoplait.
Phillips said that after discovering that mold was inside the product, “I carried it back the same time because I was still actually at the supermarket”.
She said when she carried it back, “the young lady asked me if I would like to have back my money or another yogurt”.
“I told her no. Why would I want back another Yogurt? She took a report and she tried to call her supervisor. The person spoke to me and told me I must go doctor and bring back the bill to them so that they would refund me my money”, Phillips said.
“It was a very unpleasant experience for me”, Phillips told One News SVG.
Phillips told One News SVG that “they called me day before yesterday (a representative from the supermarket) asking me how I am doing. I told her their stuff want proper storage”.
Phillips said she told the supermarket supervisor that her incident was not a one off incident.
“The security at my workplace and another man told me about it. They experienced the same thing. It is not an isolated case”.
Meanwhile, One News SVG decided not to publish the name of the supermarket because multiple attempts to get their side of the story in response to Phillips’ claims were unsuccessful.
One News SVG was sent an image recently from someone who visited the same supermarket showing what appeared to be mold on onions in the onion section.
Phillips’ account of mold, however, was in a Yoplait brand yogurt.
She said that she believes the supermarket has a storage problem as she had bought a lunch one time and the fish was tainted.
On January 22, 2018, Yoplait Yogurt’s official Twitter account responded to a customer’s tweet, tagging them about mold in their harvest peach yogurt.
The company replied saying “Sorry to see that there was mold in the yogurt. It doesn’t happen often but sometimes mold can occur if the product was accidentally exposed to warmer temperatures, or the packaging was damaged/unsealed. Can you send us a DM so we can gather more details & assist you further? TY!”.
Phillips said she is urging people to examine products.