By Demion McTair. Updated 2:33 a.m., Tuesday, July 28, 2020, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4).
Kingstown, St. Vincent (ONE NEWS SVG) – The National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO), in a July 27 release, says that four persons who arrived in the country recently, have been placed in isolation after their preliminary COVID-19 tests showed positive results.
But, health officials will await the results of several layers of tests in order to confirm the cases.
One of the four individuals came to the country on the July 23, Air Canada 980 flight from Toronto, Canada.
One other individual came to the country on the July 18 American Airlines flight – AA 945 from Miami, Florida.
The other two individuals “were detected during analysis of swabs taken for COVID-19 PCR from all ninety-five (95) passengers who arrived on Saturday July 25,” the release states.
The new label of “preliminary positive cases” comes from the Health Services Subcommittee of the National Emergency Committee’s implementation of a “multilayered verification process to confirm new COVID-19 cases,” the NEMO release states.
“The process involves the use of multiple tests to confirm the detection of, or exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19,” the releases states.
NEMO says the process has resulted in a recent delay in the reporting of new COVID-19 cases. But, the process has also resulted in what appeared to be the “rapid recovery” of eight (8) cases who were classified as recovered by the verification process, the release states.
Up to the publication time of this news story, there were a total of 13 active, confirmed COVID-19 cases in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
Overall, 52 confirmed cases are on record, but 39 have so far recovered.