By Demion McTair Updated 7:02 p.m., Monday, 6 April 2020, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4)
DISCUSSION: A list circulating on social media with the names and addresses of people who are under mandatory quarantine is raising concerns among some people.
The authenticity of the list is still in question. One News St. Vincent received a copy of the list for the Marriaqua District, which had 21 names on it.
It is not clear who published the list, but the Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment has so far given no indication that it sanctioned the publishing of any such list.
The question arises though, whether or not the list in question is authentic: should a list with the names of persons currently under quarantine be released?
Some people on social media have expressded disagreement and indifference to any release of such a list, saying it can lead to discrimination against the persons on it, especially if any of the persons end up being Covid-19 victims.
Others have said that they agree with the release of such a list to the public as a measure to help with monitoring, especially since an incident where a traveller from the US and the country’s 2nd confirmed Covid-19 case is said to have breached a mandatory quarantine and came into contact with scores of people.
Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves said recently that Justices of the Peace would be given lists with the names of persons in their respective areas to help officials monitor persons under mandatory quarantine.
Apart from the Justices of the Peace, the police and health officials, should other people in the communities and the wider public obtain the lists?
Let us know what you think in the comments.