By Admin. Updated 11:04 a.m., Tuesday, August 2, 2022, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4).
Scholarships and bursaries have been handed out to Vincentian students from the Basil Charles Educational Foundation – BCEF.
The scholarships and bursaries were handed out at a ceremony on Tuesday, August 2, at the Basil’s Bar in Kingstown.
Of the ten awards, five were full-time scholarships to five students entering secondary school. The full-time students will receive a payment at the beginning of every school term , which amounts to $1,500 every school year.
The five bursary recipients will receive $600 every new school year, based on the student’s academic performance.
The ten (10) new students brings the number of scholarship and bursary recipients currently enrolled into the Basil Charles Educational Foundation Scholarship Program to 41.
The full-time scholarship recipients are:
1. Jade Williams – St. Vincent Girls’ High School
2. Ciana Nelson – St. Vincent Girls’ High School
3. Curtly Peters – St. Vincent Boys’ Grammar School
4. Claron Jr Campbell – St. Vincent Boys’ Grammar School
5. Jordel Stowe – Saint Martins Secondary School
The five bursary recipients are:
1. Kayleah Beache – St. Vincent Girls’ High School
2. Nathaniel Medica – St. Vincent Boys’ Grammar School
3. Cyril Jr Prescott – St. Vincent Boys’ Grammar School
4. Cornelius Reece – St. Vincent Boys’ Grammar School
5. Fredel Small – Thomas Saunders Secondary School
The Basil Charles Educational Foundation – BCEF says its scholarship awards students that exemplify academic excellence while overcoming financial hardships
BCEF founder – Mr. Basil Charles told the recipients to take the scholarship to help make themselves and their families better.
He said the program is really for secondary school, but “we do help in whatever we can,” students attending college.
“I think over the years we have helped over 1,200 kids through this scholarship,” Mr. Charles said, adding that, “Our only means of funding is the Mustique and St. Vincent Blues Festival.”
He said the Foundation is looking for people from St. Vincent who went through the scholarship program to serve on the Board of the scholarship.