COVID-19 case number confusion

By Demion McTair. Updated 9:01 p.m., Sunday, July 12, 2020, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4).

Kingstown, St. Vincent (ONE NEWS SVG) – A 7:00 p.m. report published on the Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment’s Facebook page on Sunday (July 12), has thrown into uncertainty the number of active COVID-19 positive cases in the country.

Earlier on Sunday (July 12), Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves said on WEFM’s Issue at Hand Program that two (2) passengers who arrived on the first resumed American Airlines flight on July 11, were tested positive for COVID-19.

But, a 7:00 p.m. report from SVG Health on Sunday (July 12), says that there are 6 active cases.

The report gave no details as to the origin of the cases.

The caption of the report read: “Our late update of the COVID-19 Report for July 12, 2020 was unavoidable as we follow our usual protocol of informing individuals of their results prior to dissemination. We apologize for this minor inconvenience”.

According to the report, there have now been 35 COVID-19 cases recorded in the country, six (6) of which are active.

Prior to this report, there were no active cases as all 29 COVID-19 cases had recovered.

In his telephone call to WEFM’s Issue at Hand today, Dr. Gonsalves said that the two COVID-19 positive individuals are “responsible” and have been contained at their homes.

He said the Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment is doing its contact tracing for those who may have come into contact with two individuals arrived in the country on Saturday (July 11) and tested positive for COVID-19.

While American Airlines resumed flights to St. Vincent on Saturday, Fly One Caribbean was scheduled to launch regional flights into the country on Sunday (July 12).

It is not clear if the new cases are related to a flight or from another source.

Written by onenewsstvincent

One News St. Vincent is a subsidiary of ONE NEWS MEDIA which also includes Campus Reporter News (UWI Mona) and Secrets of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Travel and Tourism site. One News St. Vincent was founded on March 25, 2020. It is designed to bring a fresh social media engagement approach to news presentation in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and the rest of the eastern Caribbean.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: