Kingstown, St. Vincent (ONE NEWS SVG) – As general elections draw neigh and all major political parties have provided their visions and plans through their manifestos to the electorate for the upcoming political term 2020 -2025, it is evident that there would be major growth within the construction sector of St.Vincent and the Grenadines.
Both major political parties; Unity Labour Party (ULP) which is seeking a 5th consecutive term and the opposition New Democratic Party (NDP) have outlined several projects of behemoth nature that is expected to boost the country’s economic growth and see improvement in infrastructural development .
Here are the plans and funding sources mentioned in the political parties manifestos (Public & Private sector initiatives):
*Please note that this does not include the building and repairing of roads, bridges, river & sea defenses.
Unity Labour Party (ULP)
- Constructing a Modern Cargo Port at Kingstown (near Bottom Town) at a cost of US $200 million or EC $540 million. The project is largely funded by a grant from the British government and a loan from the Caribbean Development Bank. The largest infrastructure project after the Argyle International Airport.
- Constructing an Acute Referral Hospital at Arnos Vale (ET Joshua site). Site selection and detailed designs have been completed with soft loans from the World Bank. Actual construction at a cost of US $55 million will start and conclude in the next five-year term. Funding request made to World Bank.
- Building out the modern city at ET Joshua site. A commercial centre has commenced construction at the site of the old airport terminal; it is a public-private partnership project.
- Construction of a 100-room hotel, 50 villas, 50 apartments, and other infrastructure on Petit Mustique by a private CARICOM investor. US $500 million is scheduled to be spent on this initiative over a 12 year period.
- Construction of a 350 room Beaches by Sandals Resort at the Buccament Bay site. USD $100 million investment is expected to be made by Sandals Resort. Work is schedule to begin in April 2021.
- Construction of a 250-300 room Marriott hotel at Mt.Wynne. Funding provided by a loan borrowed from Taiwan of USD $50 million.
- Construction of a 93 room Holiday Inn Express hotel at Diamond, funding provided by the government.
- Construction of a Modern Parliament and Modern Halls of Justice at Murray’s Road.This project will also include the building of a facility at Calliaqua to house the Parliament temporarily but which building is to be used thereafter as a Hostel for Community College students particularly from the Grenadines, North Windward, and North Leeward. The project also includes the rehabilitation of the current Court House and Parliament building. Funding (soft-loan) from Taiwan in the sum of US $20 million.
New Democratic Party (NDP)
- Construct a new hospital through foreign investment. ** no detailed funding sources, total cost or location information have been provided in their manifesto but have stated that funding has been secured.
- Construct a new Cruise Ship Berth at North Leeward.** no funding sources or total cost have been provided in their manifesto but have stated the funding has been secured.
- Construction of a National Arts and Cultural Centre. ** no funding sources, total cost or location information have been provided in their manifesto
- Construction of the Rose place development which includes high-rise apartment complex. ** no funding sources or total cost information have been provided in their manifesto
- The construction of major hotels. Funding would be provided by Citizenship By Investment (CBI) programs. ** no detailed information has been provided.
- Redevelopment of the Ottley Marina and Shipyard.** no detailed information has been provided.
- Construction of a Business Park at the decommissioned E.T Joshua Airport site.* no funding sources or total cost information have been provided in their manifesto
- Build a Zip-line/cable car system that connects Chateaubelair islet to the mainland through private investment. ** no funding sources or total cost information have been provided in their manifesto
- Build a Health City with partnership of a Medical University.** no detailed total cost or location information have been provided in their manifesto.
All skilled Vincentian professionals (Carpenters,Masons,Welders etc) also engineers, project managers, IT technicians, among others are urged to prepare themselves for the expected boom in construction for the upcoming term 2020-2025 after the November 5th 2020 General Elections.