Kingstown, St. Vincent (ONE NEWS SVG) – Detailed results for the 2020 General Election will be posted by One News SVG but the following table gives a comparison between the results of the 2015 General Election versus the 2020 preliminary results.
The elections were between the two main political parties – the incumbent – Unity Labour Party (ULP), led by Dr. Ralph Gonsalves and the opposition New Democratic Party (NDP), led by Dr. Godwin Friday.
The SVG Green Party led by Ivan O’Neal only fielded two unsuccessful candidates, and there was one independent candidate.
A few conclusions:
1. The ULP won a historic fifth (5th) consecutive term in office.
2. Voter turnout for the ULP decreased in 2020.
3. The NDP narrowly won the popular vote even though the ULP picked up a seat.
4. NDP female newcomers did well, especially Laverne Gibson-Velox in East St. George (ESG), and Shevern John in North Windward (NW).
5. Orando Brewster, a newcomer, was the ULP’s star, increasing the margin of victory in Central Leeward (CL). Curtis King, also a newcomer, gave a good showing for the ULP in West St. George (WSG).
6. North Leeward remains marginal. The NDP lost it by 7 votes, after winning it by 12 votes in the 2015 General Elections.
7. Dwight Fitzgerald Bramble increased the NDP’s margin of victory in East Kingstown (EK).