

By Val Matthias. Updated 2:10 p.m., Wednesday, May 20, 2026, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4).
Plans for a major Beaches Resort in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines have been pushed back by several years, with large-scale construction now expected around 2029 as Sandals Resorts International rolls out a wider regional expansion strategy across the Caribbean.
The revised timeline emerged after the Jamaica-based hotel group announced a US$ billion expansion of its family-oriented Beaches brand, with new developments planned in Jamaica, The Bahamas and St Vincent and the Grenadines.
According to a report published by the Jamaica Gleaner on May 18, the proposed St Vincent development has been placed in the fourth year of the company’s phased expansion programme.
That marks a significant change from earlier statements made in October 2025 by Sandals Executive Chairman Adam Stewart, who said design work for the resort at Mt Wynne would begin in 2026.

At the time, Stewart described the project as part of the company’s long-term commitment to St Vincent and the Grenadines, noting that Sandals had initially intended to develop a Beaches-branded family resort before shifting focus to the adults-only Sandals Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, which opened in Buccament Bay in March 2024.
The proposed Beaches resort at Mt Wynne was expected to become one of the largest tourism investments in the country’s history.
In October 2025, the then Unity Labour Party administration signed what it described as a landmark agreement with Sandals for the construction of a 500-room Beaches Resort valued at approximately US$500 million.
Government officials at the time said the project would create more than 1,000 jobs during both the construction and operational phases, while also benefiting from investment concessions and infrastructure support from the state.
The resort formed part of a broader tourism development strategy pursued by the former administration following the launch of the Sandals Saint Vincent property.

Sandals had also previously explored converting the former Buccament Bay Resort into a Beaches property. However, those plans changed after the Covid-19 pandemic, with the company proceeding instead with an adults-only resort model.
The company has not publicly explained the reason for the revised timeline. However, the latest expansion announcement indicates Sandals is sequencing investments across several Caribbean territories as it seeks to double the footprint of its Beaches brand in the region.
The Beaches chain currently operates resorts in Jamaica and Turks and Caicos Islands.
END



